Day 173: Come up with your own Book page idea.Posted: June 22, 2011
There are so, so many possibilites here.
Shall I just put them in a list? I think I have to, or I’m not going to be able to keep my head on straight.
- Pretend to be a time traveller.
- No bathing.
- Only eat foods whose names are four-letter words.
- Shirk responsibility.
- Confound a bureaucrat.
- Communicate only in nods and grunts.
- Wander aimlessly in a grocery store.
- Skip work and read a book.
- Eat cereal for every meal.
- Urinate in an unlikely place.
- Chase a stray cat, yelling protestations of love and/or anger.
- Crack an egg with one hand, like Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina.
- Make lists for everything, and don’t stop making them.
I actually did a few of these — I won’t tell you which — but all of the above are mere runners-up. The winner was going to be “Do something you’ve been putting off” — dangerous, because there are plenty of things on my “I’ll do this eventually” list, which is really my “I’m probably never going to do this” list — but circumstances intervened. Elanor is staying with my parents, and Lorna was at band practice all evening, so Jack and I were left to fend for ourselves. He went to bed without much hassle, but I fell asleep in the bed with him, around 7:15; I woke up about an hour later, groggy, and stumbled to the couch, where I promptly fell asleep again; at about 9:00, I woke up — still groggy — and stumbled to bed, where I slept until Lorna came home, around 10:00. (It might take a few bourbons, but I’m going back to bed soon.)
So: today is “Take an evening nap” day — an almost necessary follow-up to yesterday, at least for crotchety old men like me.